Blueberries and lemon are a perfect combination, this simple cake uses those flavours to deliver a lemon cake with a kick.
The recipe comes from BBC Good Food
I spent ages looking for a lemon and blueberry cake recipe which didn’t require lots of effort and a huge list of ingredients. When I came across this one, I didn’t have to sacrifice simplicity for taste, it’s quick to make and tastes delicious.
It works well as a dessert or cake, you could even add edible flowers to the top to make it really look pretty. The lemon curd gives a strong lemon taste and the icing on the top is just perfect. You can also freeze it un-iced so it’s a great one to bake in advance and call on it when you need it.
The original recipe suggests having extra greek yogurt (400ml) and extra lemon curd to serve with the cake. It is a moist cake and has a good lemon flavour so I have never felt the need for the additional yogurt or curd, however if you are having it as a dessert then you may like to try their suggestion.
175g (6oz) softened butter
100ml/3.5fl oz tub Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons lemon curd
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 lemon, zest and juice
200g (7oz) self-raising flour
175g (6oz) caster sugar
85g (3oz) blueberries plus extra to serve if desired
140g (5oz) icing sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3. Grease and line the bottom of a 2lb loaf tin.
- Measure the yogurt, lemon curd, eggs, butter, flour, caster sugar and lemon zest into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix with an electric whisk until the batter just comes together.
- Use a spatula to pour half of the mixture into the tin. Sprinkle half of the blueberries into the tin. Pour the remainder of the mixture on top, then scatter the other half of the blueberries on top.
- Bake for 1 hr 10 mins to 1 hr 15 mins until the cake is golden. Insert a knife into the centre of the cake, if it comes out clean then it is cooked. Leave the cake to cool in the tin.
- For the icing, sift the icing sugar into a bowl and gradually stir in enough lemon juice to make a thick, smooth icing. Spread over the top of the cake, and if you wish decorate with lemon zest (or edible flowers if you wish).
I hope you decide to try this bake, let me know how you get on via my social media pages or contact me.