These little beauties are quick and easy to bake and great to make with kids, hence I got this recipe from Cooking With My Kids
The banana and Nutella in these muffins work really well together and make them pretty more-ish. I first tried these, when our lovely friends kindly made them for us when Isaac was born. I was breast feeding and very sleep deprived at the time so I felt like I could devour one after another, until I reached a sugar coma!
They are really easy to bake so useful if you have children who like to get involved with baking. I always use the loaf version of this recipe but bake it as muffins and they work out fine. There is a muffin version of the recipe on the Cooking With Kids website if you want to try it but I’ve never felt the need to as this recipe always gives great muffins.
The muffin version says to fill the cup cake recipes half full but I always fill them to the top and I also add two dollops of Nutella instead of one but I’m just greedy! I also add a bit of mixture to the top to keep the Nutella mainly below the surface.
The slight down side to these muffins is that they don’t keep fresh for that long so they are best eaten on the day of baking them or the day after. The recipe makes 12 muffins and once you’ve had one it won’t take you long to polish the rest off!!
250 g (9 oz) plain flour
150 g caster sugar
100 g (4 oz) softened butter
2 large eggs
3 ripe bananas mashed (the riper the better)
2 tsp baking powder
100g (4 oz) Nutella
Preheat the oven to 180C / 170C Fan. You’ll need 12 cupcake or muffin cases and a cupcake/muffin baking tray.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until they are combined and become light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing in between each one.
- Add the mashed bananas and mix until well combined.
- Weigh out the flour and baking powder, and add to the mixture. Stir it well, ensuring everything is thoroughly mixed.
- Spoon some of the mixture into the cupcake case until it’s just under a quarter full. Add a teaspoon of Nutella and swirl it slightly with the spoon or a skewer. Add more mixture, until the case is three quarters full. Add another teaspoon of Nutella and swirl it again. Top with a little more of the mixture, until the case is full to the top.
- Pop the muffins in the oven for 20-25mins until the are light brown and an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes and then place on a wire rack to cool completely. Keep in an airtight container for 2-3 days.